Friday, October 25, 2013

Runing for God at the Chick-fil-a 5k

I belong to an awesome church, honestly! I know some of you are probably wondering what that has to do with running but if it wasn't for my church, Deep Creek Community, and all the great programs it has to offer, I would of never had the pleasure of being apart of a small group called Run For God.
 

This twelve week running and devotional program is designed to take the average person and train them not only physically but mentally to finish their first 5k. As you know, I am not new to running, but I am fairly new to my church, so I thought what better way to get to know like minded people than to join. Boy, I am so glad I did! I had the opportunity to meet and make friends with some wonderful people who have a variety of different running backgrounds. This made the 12 week program seem to fly right by and before I knew it, our group was meeting for the last time at the Chick-fil-a 5k/10k in Port Charlotte, FL.

Run For God Group Getting Ready to Run

This was the first time Chick-fil-a has brought this racing series to our area and even though packet pickup, the day before, was a little crazy, the race itself was well thought out, organized, and a lot of fun. It was a family friendly event with live music, bounce houses and exciting give-a-ways! It also was pretty cool to have ChronoTrack chip timing at this small local race (This statement proves I am a running geek!).


Packet Pick-up

 
Race Day
 
It was absolutely the perfect race to finish out our Run For God program and every member of the group made it across the finish line, some for the first time and others with new PR's to feel proud about. I personally ran a strong run with a time of 32:46 but best of all, I had the great pleasure of running with a young girl named Destiny. She has been my running buddy a couple times before at a few of the Girls on the Run 5ks and it is always fun to watching her grow as a runner. This race she completed with a whooping 2:00 minute PR and I couldn't be more proud of her! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment