Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sarasota Half Relay

It was my birthday weekend, and what is a girl who loves to runs suppose to do for her birthday? Well, run a race, of course! And, what a race it was!
 
 My Sol Sister, Jen and I headed out bright an early at 5:00 am to Sarasota, FL, to run our first ever relay at the Sarasota Half.
 
Luckily for us, some of our running friends from Team #runDisney were running this race too. So, we meet up with everyone and tried to stay warm (yes, it gets cold in Florida, it actually was in the low 60's that morning) till the start of the race.
Team #runDisney


First up was Jen's first six miles of the relay. She started at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall and headed out on the John Ringling Causeway (which is kind of a step bridge), circled around the famous St. Armands Circle, and then made her way back across the causeway to a relay meeting point set up on US 41.

Van Wezel Performing Hall
Jen's picture she sent me from the causeway.
Relay Exchange

This is where I was waiting to take the ankle strap timer off Jen's foot and head out on my seven mile half of the relay. I started north on US 41 (which was all businesses) and ran up to the beautiful Ringling Brothers Museum, then headed back south, weaved in and out of residential areas by the water, till I ended up back on US 41. I finally got back to the relay meeting point where Jen was waiting and we finished out the race together!
 
Ringling Brothers Museum
My picture I sent to Jen to let her know I was coming!
 
It was a great race for both of us! We both had personal records on our legs of the relay and together we came out with an awesome half marathon time of 2:20:03!
 
Place: 52 No. 288 Team Name: SOLE SISTERS Class: F  Split: 30:51 Split: 1:07:44 Net Time: 2:20:03 Pace: 10:42

Jen & I after the finish of the Sarasota Half Relay.
Afterwards we hooked back up with our Team #runDisney friends again to celebrate our awesome accomplishments. First Watch Cafe was the sponsor of this race and they offered each runner a yummy fruit parfait, normal post-race food, and even a beer for those who were interested (a little to early for me) at the end of the race.
Happy Team #runDisney Finishers!

DJ & Beer Vendor at After Race Party
Even with all the yummy goodies we were given, Jen and I were still starving after the race so we headed to a nearby First Watch Cafe. Neither of us had been there before, but had heard rave reviews from some of the other runners. Well, let me just tell you, everything they said was true! This place was unbelievable and it totally made a great ending to an awesome race!
Our Yummy Breakfast at First Watch Cafe




No comments:

Post a Comment