Saturday, April 13, 2013

Shark Tooth 10K

 

Well, for once I am writing while things are nice and fresh in my head. Today was the Shark Tooth 10k in Venice, FL.
I signed up for this race only a week ago, but with the running season winding down for the summer, I really needed to get a official certified timed under my belt before I head to Disneyland in August. For those of you that don't know, runDisney has made some pretty big changes in order to relieve some of the congestion found during most of their races, with the biggest change being proof of time! If you don't have it, your butt is in the back jack at the start of the race! And, if you have ever been to a runDisney Race, you know they usually have between 6-8 starting corrals for each race, then put 10 minutes in between each corral, and you got some people standing there over an hour, just to start the race!
So, even though I didn't have much time to prepare for this run, I was off with the hopes of pulling out a good time!
I had been a little worried about the weather for this race. The forecast all week had called for rain, and lots of it, but the weather held out, and I even had some good ol' Florida sunshine by the time I got to mile 4.
Before the Shark Tooth 10k

The course for this race was a mix of paved roads through residential areas, dirt roads around the Venice Airport and even bike trails near the beach. Although, it made for great scenery throughout the race, it did seem to make the course a little more challenging for me.
Different terrains during the race.

It's so cool how the course is shaped like a sharks tooth!

Overall, I did well. I finished in 1:06:58 according to my Garmin (official results aren't in yet), which is a PR for me. The one thing I will take away from this race is to really watch my pre-race diet. I had an upset stomach during the whole race, which never happens to me. I think it may have been the waffles, with Almond Butter and honey that I ate right before bed the night before. Whatever it was, I can't honestly say I don't want it to happen again. It really makes is hard to concentrate on running when your sick stomach is all you can think about. Plus, you can't enjoy the wonderful post-race food, which is why most of us run anyway!
Post Race Fun and Food
What does your pre-race meal consist of? What do you eat the night before a race? Do you enjoying indulging in yummy post-race food, if so, what is your favorite?
 

1 comment: